Tuesday, April 08, 2008

God's Timing

Have you ever noticed that when things don't go the way you or I want them to go, that there is the thinking that God's timing is off?

Today I was reading the story of the death of Lazarus. I realized that so many times I, like Mary and Martha, say to Jesus "If only you had been here Lord!" All the while I'm implying that Jesus made a mistake by delaying. Or I question His love for me. Or maybe I believe some lie of the enemy that I have done something wrong to cause this delay.

I lose sight of God in all my attempts to "figure it out". God's ways are not all about "ME", they are about Him and His glory. John 11:4b "No, it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will receive glory from this."

I also realized that I usually don't pay attention to all the times God's timing is amazingly perfect. Those situations when things come together when there is no reasonable way they should have or could have.

Like today when I left the cafe where I had been spending time with Jesus. I was thinking about anything or anyone in particular. I had no "spiritual mindedness" about me what so ever. If I had been thinking of anything it was how I was going to walk home without getting soaked.

As I stepped out the door I greeted the lady I have come to know as the Ice Cream Lady. She owns the local traditional homemade ice cream shop that is only open from spring to fall. I didn't think anything of it at first. But....she did something very unusual. She took me by the arm and said "Come and see". She wanted me to show me how they had remodeled the ice shop. For some reason this woman I have only said "Hello" to for 20 years needed me to see and approve of her work. It's hard to explain the feelings I felt...maybe honor, acceptance, I didn't even really know what to say.

But back to timing: If I had waited for the bill instead of paying at the counter I would have missed that woman.

Then as I continued my trek home through the pouring rain (of course I hadn't thought to take an umbrella) I bumped into a student I had last year when I substituted at the local Community College. I had even forgotten that I had prayed that the Lord would allow me to meet her in town one day because I felt a connection with her. Today was the day that the Lord had ordained as the day we should meet and exchange numbers.

I guess I need to remember. when I want to have my 3 year old temper tantrum because God didn't show up according to my timing, that Jesus really does LOVE ME and His plans are perfect and beyond anything I can possible imagine.

No comments: