Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Simply Being

Yesterday I read something that really stuck with me and Jesus then challenged me with it.
"We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee." Marian Wright Edelman

After reading this I went to have my usual "coffee with Jesus" at the local cafe. As usual the place was packed and finding a booth to ones self was nearly impossible. But after a short wait a got the much coveted booth. I had just settled in for a nice time "alone" with Jesus and my cafe latte and waffle with extra fruit when a woman asked to sit at my table. I admit my first thought was No! It's mine! Then I thought "No big deal I can always pretend I don't understand Polish". After a few minutes I found myself chatting with the woman who turnout to be from out of town. In the end she encouraged me and my improving Polish. Then she left.

Alone at last! Nope!
Another woman asked to sit at my table. And once again I said yes. To shorten this story a bit...by the end of our conversation the woman was asking for my number. She wanted to give it to her college daughter so that I might be an encouragement to her.
It is in the small but faithful things the people see the heart of God.

Oh...I eventually did get my time with Jesus. It was different than I had planned but I think he was in all that I did yesterday.

No comments: