Monday, August 21, 2017

The Ties That Bind

Family

I'm always amazed by just how strong the bonds of family are. As a School Counselor I often was interjected into some of the most unhealthy families & yet the members were devoted to those ties regardless how unhealthy they were. I guess it is the most basic need of belonging & the family is the 1st place where we belong.

Since my Mom passed away in May 2015, though I wouldn't say we were tight, I have had that gapping inner hole that I'm missing "Family". I'm now the oldest living member of our clan. I live on the other side of the world, with no biological family of my own. I have no regrets & I wouldn't change anything but that doesn't change the reality of my heart's longing for family connections.

I'm so grateful that my Heavenly Father cares so deeply for all my needs, even when I'm not even able to verbalize them. Sometimes I don't even know that they are there or what those needs are. In the last year I have had guests at least 3 days every month except April. Most of them were church family, which isn't surprising, but Jesus also brought family into my world as well.

In September 2016 my brother took his 1st European vacation. Warren & his wife Jill went on a Mediterranean cruise that dropped them off in Venice. This prompted me to take a road trip vacation. I mean how often does your brother get to Europe? Well, lets see I've been here 20+ years & this is the 1st time...so I went. I also took this opportunity to visit my friends in Europe who are like family.

Don't you just love it when Jesus plans your itinerary? Each stop was about 6 hours from the next one. The 1st stop was in Vienna with my dear friends & mentors. It was a great visit & uplifting fellowship. So much so, no pictures...oops.

Then on to Venice...the road trip was so beautiful I wish you were all there. Or at the very least someone else was driving through the Italian Alps so I could take pictures of the Fall colors. It had been a long time since my last visit to Venice so it was great to see it with my brother. It was kind of funny because I usually have a hard time keeping up with him (he has LONG legs), but he had injured his leg on the ship and though I was limping due to a bad hip we were pretty equal. It's too bad they only had a couple of days in Venice before they were on their way back to the USA.Click to See The Many Colors of Venice 

From Venice to Bern Switzerland. I love spending time with my friends in Switzerland. I used to go a couple of times a year because Foursquare Church in Switzerland used to oversee the work in Poland.    And since I spent so much time going back & forth to the USA for Mom there hasn't been much time or money to travel around Europe. To be honest I can't remember when the last time was when I was in Switzerland. I got to spend time with my good friends Elisabeth & Erika...just hanging out & being friends...going for walks...cooking together & of course lots of talking.

Elisbeth also took me to see one of my Polish friends, Paulina who now lives in Switzerland. It was a great time to see her & encourage her in her new role as Mom. Plus, who doesn't love loving on new babies?

The next stop on my journey was to see Nathalie & Francois in Strasbourg, France & to rejoice with them over their new building. God is so faithful to give us just what we need when we need it. I loved seeing their city & the blessing of their new home & church home.

The finally stop in this European loop was with my long time friends (The Schroths, nearly 30 years) in Chemnitz. We have seen & experienced communism, its fall, the rise of a different world. I've walked with them through the childrearing years & we have both (Basia) have lamented over the challenges of caring for sick & dying Moms from a long distance. (They are coming next week for a visit)Click to see the rest of the Trip

 I love road trips & this 2.5 weeks really helped to recharge my batteries & bring much needed restoration to a weary soul. Thank you Jesus for sending my brother to Venice!

2 comments:

Leslie T said...

Great blog post! You are so right ... He is the Father to the Fatherless and Defender of Widows - and the constant source of courage and comfort to us Singles!

journeyofheart said...

That's so true my friend! I'm hoping you'll have some time this fall