Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Ties That Bind Part 2

Sven-Erik, Moa, Maria & Reilly
Living abroad has filled my life with so many blessings, adventures & enriched me with amazing relationships. But there has been a cost...the reality that all my nieces were born since I've been here & my nephew was 2 when I left. I've done my best to try to be in touch & involved in their lives but there just hasn't been much face time.  So, you can imagine my mix of emotions when my niece Reilly asked if she could come to visit for 6 weeks.
Reilly in Schindler's Factory
Of course I was excited...but what if she doesn't really like me? Or we don't get along? Will I be able to keep her "entertained"?
It didn't take long for me to realize that my fears, though very real, were ill founded. We had a
wonderful time really getting to know one another. I treasure the time & the opportunity to share my amazing world. The only down side was that my hip was acting up & I was in a lot of pain. But we managed to do & see everything.
Reilly in Stockholm
About the 4 week mark I thought that Reilly might like to meet your relatives in Northern Sweden. I tested the water with my cousin & she came back with a heartfelt welcome to both of us. I was thinking that I would just send Reilly but it had been so long (more than 25 years) since my last visit that I decided to cease the opportunity to go on an adventure together.
Even though the trip originally was intended for Reilly, I think that the Lord planned it for me. It is hard to describe, but it was like a healing balm to my soul. Being together with "BIG" family was just what the doctor order for me. So much had changed since my last visit, yet somethings remained the same...Family! Click to see the Pictures
Being in Maria's mom's home was like going to my grandmother's. The same decor, food, atmosphere... I was home. Seeing my grandmother's brother, Martin & his wife, Ingrid was a particularly special gift. My grandma has been gone more than 20 years now so it was a miracle. I got to meet Maria's 3 daughters & their families, attend the youngest daughter's handball match. As well as, spend time with old friends.
It was like going home...especially now that my mom is gone..."home" is a bit more illusive.

I will be blessed to have 2 of Maria's daughters for a visit in September.


Swedish Winter

No comments: