Sunday, September 23, 2007

What's Ministry? What's Missions?

There are so many things that we do at "Church" that we call "ministry" or "missions" that I'm not so sure how much of it is really being Jesus and how much is doing "church".

When I look at how Jesus spent the majority of His time it was outside of the "religious building(s)" of that time. He did a lot of eating, talking, laughing (I believe) and just being in the moments of life.

Yet we Christians seem to spend way more time focusing on: singing, worship, prayer, gifts, prophesy, tongues, outreach, evangelism, organization, training, strategies, Biblical knowledge. I'm not saying that any of these things are bad, but I just wonder if we are over focusing on the details and under focusing on the foundations that Jesus showed us. And in the process we have lost the heart of what it means to minister to others.

I'm beginning to learn, see, realize to an even deeper level that it (mission, ministry) is all about who I am. The gifts, talents, and especially the character of Jesus that has transformed me.

All of those "church" things that are what we would consider as essential elements of missions or ministry are only means (tools) by which the character of Jesus can be expressed through a willing servant. However, having coffee with someone, or going for a walk with a person in need or just allowing someone to join me in my everyday life can be a greater means of ministry than any well oiled, publicized, "beautiful" church service.

Life with Jesus - Isn't all about HOW I am able to live in this fallen world in a manner like my Lord?

How I handle conflict with assertive grace.

How I answer the difficult questions of life with wisdom and authority.

How I enjoy the simple pleasure of life, knowing that my Loving Father has created them for my delight and joy.

How I relate to others, younger, older, the same sex, the opposite sex.

How I deal with the ups and downs of life: with respect for others, honor, joy, love, care, and patience.

I'm beginning to see that it doesn't matter so much what I do or even how well necessarily but rather the attitude of my heart when I do it. And if I am able to approach the situation from the foundation of Jesus my Rock.

No comments: