Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Self Supported Missionary"

The life of the "self supported missionary" is interesting. When I'm at "home" my hats change so often and so quickly that I hardly know who I am: friend, pastor, sister, aunt, administrator, co-worker, salesperson, minister, shopper, etc. I think that some people can handle the lack of routine and order but for me...sometimes I just get lost in the whirlwind of roles.

This trip has been particularly interesting as I don't have a phone and often I don't have access to a phone. It is even more interesting trying to find a pay phone. And the computer phone that I "should" be able to use is having technical difficulties.

What is even more interesting is scheduling meetings? Last time I came to the USA everyone was very communicative and I had practically everything scheduled before I left Poland. But for some reason this time almost everyone has waited until the last minute.

With all that, I would have to say that the Lord has been faithful to keep me relaxed and I have been able to "go with the flow" better than ever.

Today I surprised my brother. We had a good but short chat...he was busy at work (remember I don't have a phone to set up an appointment). So, my plans changed a bit and I did that all important shopping for necessities I can't get in Poland (I always do my shopping in Oregon - no sales tax). Plus I just love it when I can hit a sale. Nowdays not only do I find things I can't get in Poland (clothes that fit me) but they are so much cheaper. This is particularly true as the dollar continues to drop like a stone and the Polish economy continues to equalize with the rest of Europe. Later on I caught up with my brother again at my niece's U12 soccer practice. Last Tuesday at the same time I was at a U12 girls soccer practice in Thousand Oaks. Is this a pattern? What will next Tuesday evening bring? U12 girls soccer practice in Woodinville? After practice I went out to pizza with my brother, my niece and my nephew. It was a short but valuable visit.

I have to say that I really enjoy my time in Oregon. I have many friends here that great encouragment to me spiritually and personally. I don't know I just breathe better here than in California (except of course Thousand Oaks). My friends at the Shepherd's House are an oasis in the desert. Without you I don't know what I would do?

Some might ask: Have you been able to find any more financial support? And now that I have been doing this "fundraising" for more than 11 years all I can say is: Only Jesus knows! Over the years I have had people/churches that have made "commitments" to give. The reality is some do and more don't but those who do and have been supporting me have been very faithful. Above all that Jesus is my provider. He takes care of me. How much more support would I like to have a month? If I had $600 more a month I would be able to feel like I was really able to minister without finances being a burden.

Thanks for all your prayers and your friendship.

No comments: