Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Garden(s) of Hope pt. 2

In my July Newsletter I shared, how miraculously one little act of hope, such as renovating a yard or garden could be contagious, postively impacting the lives of the unsuspecting & most skeptical.  A little more than a week ago I returned to Poland after a 2+ month stay in the USA as a result of my Mom's illness.  It was at this time that I found myself reflecting once again on "Garden(s) of Hope". 

My little garden of hope didn't look so hopeful.  In just 2 months it was overgrown with weeds, the new plants I had planted were growing across the gravel instead of up the fence. And the community grass had only been cut once in that time, resulting in 2+ feet of growth.  The garden that had been an inspiration of hope & what could be, now was (to be honest) a bit discouraging & even overwhelming. 

I learned a valuable lesson... Gardens of Hope...whether literal gardens, spiritual or relational all require care & maintaince.  There are all types of gardens/yards some are higher maintaince than others but if they are going to bring hope or inspiration they will require care.  So...I got out my garden gloves, the lawn mower & hit it. Now, once again we are back to a place where I can look at my little piece of nature & feel hopeful. I guess the greater question is what relationships, areas of life that were once so hopeful but now are overgrown with some aspect of life that is discouraging need some attention? Jesus help me to take up the tools necessary to make all aspects of my life "Gardens of Hope". 

"Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your hope, always be ready to explain it. But do this in a gentle & respectful way. 1 Peter 3:15-16a

No comments: